Thursday 17 July 2008

Raymond's Update as of July 3, 2008

During my surgery on July 3, 2008, Raymond had an appointment with his audiologist, Cathy, at 1:30 pm, a block over from the hospital. Perfect timing for him.

As mentioned previously, he was not happy about the life span of his processor batteries - they were now lasting 2 to 3 hours since he went for his last mapping in April 2008, quite the drop!

Cathy looked into this and found that the processor was sending too much frequency waves, so she made some adjustments to this. Raymond is very happy with the results now, the batteries now last approximately 12 hours a day. That is the norm :) If Raymond is in a noisy environment, this will drain the battery a little bit but not much, it would last about 8 to 9 hours. Still that is great!

With the mapping adjustments, the sound quality of words are much softer and with much more clarity. Things are alot more clearer now so things are going smoothly now.

So far so good. Raymond has not mentioned to me as of yet when his next appointment would be as I was zonked out in surgery :) I assume in three months, but will let you know later....

Last night, I met up with a friend of mine who has the cochlear implant, she's had it for 9 or 10 years now. And she has mentioned to me there are wonderful exercises on the Advanced Bionics website called the "Listening Room", they have one for children and one for adults:

http://www.bionicear.com/Support_Center/Educational_Support/Therapy_Resources.cfm?langid=1

I have not had the chance to really look at this site yet, because I am deaf as a post until activation day, but so far it looks great. Hope it works for you.... and you bet I will take the advantage of it in August and onward.

No comments: