Sunday 26 October 2008

Cheryl's October 2008 mapping session

CI activated on July 29th - 3 month post-activiation mapping session:

Saw Cathy on October 23rd and it was a good session. Did a testing in the sound booth, spoke about my frustrations with sounds, and made some adjustments to my CI processor.

In the sound booth, we did the usual testing:

- audiogram testing - I am okay where I am at for now, there's more room for improvement
- sections of 4 words and CD in background saying the word, and I pick the word I think he is saying - I did good on this, 2 errors. It is noted that I have problems hearing the "s" sounds.
- simple sentences with lip-reading - fared 100% on this one.
- simple sentences without lip-reading (mouth covered) - fared 34%!!

Did you get that?? I got 34% and that is just by listening without lip-reading. That is quite the thing for me and it is awesome! Cathy was really surprised. I have taken this test several times over the past year and have always gotten 0%. With my hearing aid before the surgery and for all my previous mapping sessions with my CI... all 0%. So I consider 34% quite the achievement. I was plumb pleased with myself.

It does not mean I will improve even further, as this might be the end of it, or it may improve. Time will tell.

I told Cathy about my work noise level and on how ungodawful it is. So off she goes, made a few quick adjustments to my CI processor switches:

Switch 1 - normal, everyday usage. It is the same as switch 2 on my last mapping session.
Switch 2 - a little noise reduction.
Switch 3 - more noise reduction.

I am to try switch 2 and 3 at work to see which is best for me. Can't wait to test them out.

Will be working on speech therapy practices once I receive the exercises from the speech therapist from the same centre where Cathy works. For my listening skills, Cathy has suggested for me to try to listen to read-along books for children. Those books are hard to find. I have looked in the library and they do not have much choices for children. I will have to hit the mall one of these days, even shopping is what I hate the most :)

Date of return for another mapping session.... January 2009.

I am really frustrated with my hair, I no longer can put hair behind my right ear as the CI takes up most of the space in there. Once I do, my hair falls forward and is in the way. Argh...!!! I am seriously considering in changing my hairstyle... probably a shorter and easier style. I was supposed to do this last week, but chickened out. I have had this hairstyle for nearly 24 years, so it is really time for a change, and it ain't easy....wow!!! Someone, please hit me over the head and drag me to the hairdresser.... :)

New sounds - I actually heard the kitchen tap running while I was in the living room at a friend's house. Still hearing the other sounds I have heard for the past three months. The ticking of the clock is getting more distinct... it is so funny that I can recognize it so quickly now.

I am so thankful for the cochlear implant technology to allow me to hear things I have never heard before or have heard before but was dull. I am enjoying it all, including the frustrations. It is so worth it. Praise God.....

Until next time....

No comments: