Saturday 1 November 2008

Small update - noise reduction program and few tidbits

Tried the 2 noise reduction programs switches on my CI processor at work, and soon found out that switch #3 works best for me. It really reduces the noise level, but I do still hear the noises around me and in the background, but not as loud as it was before. I had too much simulation going on and it was making me extremely tired, and found a great difference with the noise reduction program.

However, one thing I noted with switch #3, the voices are not as clear and a little dull. That is okay as I work pretty independantly majority of the day.

Once I leave work, I go back to switch #1, which is for normal daily usage.

Last Friday, I met up with a friend of mine and she mentioned that she noticed I was talking a bit louder than a whisper now. That's good... hope it continues to improve. Or maybe it was because I had the volume down. I must check the next time someone says something about my voice level, and will check where the volume number is at.

Right now, I am having a heck of a time looking for a simple children's read-along book with a CD. They do have them in the stores, but they are more for teens, etc... I am going to drop in at Scholar's Choice/Moyer's on Monday after work to see if they have any. Keeping my fingers crossed as I would like to start practicing my listening/speech skills.

The speech therpist sent me a list of words for me to practice, and a friend will work on this with me, plus will get Mom/sister to help out as well.

Now, onward to Raymond. Really, there is not much to report from his end these days. He is doing extremely well. His CI is at the most comfortable level and he is hearing things pretty normally rather than the loudness he experienced in the previous months. Music is coming along well and he is picking up alot of words. He finally is able who the music artist is when it comes on.

Remember a few months ago, he tried out the bluetooth for his cell phone and he tried the MaxIT brand. It didn't pan out well for him, so he returned the product back to the company. Someday, not now, he will try another bluetooth thingy.

One thing we both still do not like...... is folks calling our names behind our backs testing us out. People don't realize that we DO hear the voices, but we do not realize it is for us. This has happened to me at work a couple of times, how do you expect me to hear my name with all that noise in the background, especially with the white noise?? Forget it.....

Every Wednesday night, we attend Bible Study over at the Lakeview Manor senior citizens/nursing home as they have allowed us to use their roomy chapel and large TV for our studies. There's all kinds of noises in that place!!! I can hear the buzzer's going off at the nursing station. Last week, while we were watching a session on the DVD, all of sudden Raymond and I heard a noise and I kind of looked over at Grace and shot my eyebrows upward. She laughed at me, as I am sure it was quite the sight that Raymond and I were the only ones that heard something while the other deafies watched the DVD. :)

Until next time.....

No comments: