Friday 20 June 2008

Cheryl's Update

I saw Dr. Morris on May 15, 2008 for the final approval to have the surgery or not. I had confidence that he was going to say "yes" and he did!

During this appointment, he had informed me that my CT-Scan looked good, as well as my balance test I had done in 2007. He was happy that my balance "spun", saying, "That's good!!" That part I will never understand as I didn't like the balance test too much. Remember, everybody is different. Raymond had no problems and he went directly to Tim Horton's for coffee right after his test, where it took me nearly 2 hours to recover...

What I like about Dr. Morris is his honesty. He had a little bit of a concern that I would expect to be successful as Raymond's cochlear implantation. I told him that I do not expect to be up to Raymond's hearing level and I was aware that Raymond has a higher hearing level than I do so said for him not to worry about it. The audiologist, Cathy, who was with us during this appointment, told Dr. Morris that I was very aware of these facts. After hearing this, Dr. Morris was satisfied. For me, the purpose of the CI, is to remove the frustrations in my life, and as well for my family, friends and co-workers. The CI will help me to hear sounds better, like the phone ringing, the door-bell or knocking of door, someone calling my name, etc. As well, the one-on-one conversations would be smoother. This is just to name a few.

For me, what I hope is to be able to hear as well as I did when I was a teenager and in my 20's. Even close to that level or a bit more than that, I will be happy. I will never have a perfect hearing, no, but just to remove the frustrations and the dullness, that I hope to remove.

Dr. Morris said that my CI might end up surprising everybody and exceed their expectations. Only time will tell.

Lastly, he goes over the surgery, what can happen, etc. Then I signed some papers, and he filled out my work medical leave papers. Date of surgery was provided to me during this appointment and it is July 3, 2008!!

On July 2, I have an appointment for the pre-admission testing at 12:45 pm. This is for blood work, lots of questions - such as allergies, etc, what pills I take, how much I weigh (must I tell the truth for this one???? lol). During this appointment, I meet with the anesthesiologist, to discuss what they will use to put me to sleep. I will ensure they give me a gravol before going to sleep, as this will reduce the nausea after the surgery. Anything to reduce anything, I will take.

As of today, I have 10 more sleeps to the actual surgery day!!!! Yay.... Time flies!!!!

Being off work how long, it varies for everybody. They informed me that I will be off work for 2 weeks for sure, but expect to be off work until activation day, so that is nearly a month after the surgery. Raymond had balance problems for nearly 3 weeks and gradually disappeared a month after his surgery. So after seeing Raymond go through this and after talking to others who had the CI, all advised me it is a good idea to be off longer than two weeks. We'll see how I do. I will keep you guys updated after my surgery, for sure.

Man, I am really excited about this. The timing is perfect and I am so ready for this!! All I ask of you guys is to pray for me on my surgery day (July 3), and pray for God to guide the doctor's hands and for the doctor to use the best of his knowledge/skills. Thanks! :)

No comments: